Next café: Saturday 6 October 2018
St Georges Extension, Tiverton.
Coffee from 11.00, lunch served at 12:30.
What is ReRooted?
ReRooted is a volunteer run community group using surplus food to create tasty meals on a “pay as you feel” basis.
We held our first public event in July 2017. Throughout 2018 our events are on the first Saturday of each month and are all held at St Georges Extension, Tiverton.
We aim to:
- help prevent shop and supermarket food from going to waste
- support people to waste less food in their homes
- improve nutrition and reduce hunger
- bring the community together through food and help prevent loneliness
Who are the events aimed at?
Millions of tonnes of good food are thrown away from shops, supermarkets and particularly our homes every year. ReRooted events are open to anyone who would like to meet new people, get some tips on wasting less food and if you would like to, also get some practical cookery experience. Above all the events will be fun and welcoming – oh and tasty!
Where does the food come from?
We have made links with local supermarkets and shops including producers in the Pannier Market to access surplus food. We have secured local storage facilities for both perishable and non-perishable food which will be used for ReRooted events as well as being distributed to local charities.
There are various roles within the group – cooks, front of house, publicity, liaising with suppliers, fundraising, volunteer coordination. We are especially short of people to help plan events in advance so if you can help please do let us know.
Over to you…
It would be great to hear from you about what you’d be interested in.
- Would you just like to turn up and cook / help chop/wash up/chat, or are you interested in any of the other roles?
- How often might you be available to help?
- What days of the week are you available and is that daytime or evening?
- Do you have surplus produce in your garden you would like to donate?
- Your email and phone number so we can keep in touch
How to contact us
You can contact us through our FaceBook page or call Claire on 07941 330450
We have regular monthly planning meetings or you can just turn up for events – we would love you to join us!
Setting up your own food surplus café
If you would be interested in setting up a similar project in your community in Mid Devon, CAG Devon may be able to help. Contact Ruth, Community Engagement Coordinator:
- 07944 791972
- @CAGDevon on Facebook and Twitter
The Cafe runs on the first Saturday of every month.
What people are saying about Rerooted
I think what you do is amazing, well done to each and every one of you. A list of ingredients used and how to cook the meal you make would be good.
I loved it it is 100% good.
Thanks for your birthday celebrations today, it was nice and people were so helpful.
The banana pudding was yummy
Always a wonderful menu and I go away full up.